Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What are your favorite MG/YA books?


Whenever I read articles giving advice for aspiring novelists, I always come across the counsel to "Read, read, read!" One editor of a publishing house advised writers to read over 300 books in their given genre. Whew! I love to read and even that seems like a lot.

So what are your favorite MG/YA books?

In the middle grade genre, I adore THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman---I shed a couple of happy tears at the ending---and I just finished MASTERPIECE by Elizabeth Broach, which I found well-written and charming.

As for young adult works, I loved the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins (the Gregor books) and so I was very excited to read THE HUNGER GAMES. I thought the book was fast-paced, exciting, emotional, and I loved the main character Katniss. Recently, I also finished GRACELING by Kristin Cashore. It is an interesting mix of fantasy, adventure, and romance, and I'm not surprised that the book has sold so well.

My favorite kids books of all time would include: MATILDA, MANIAC MAGEE, FROM THE MIXED-UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER, HARRY POTTER I-VII, and ENDER'S GAME.

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Some of my favorite MG books are:
    The shadow children series by Margaret Haddix, Inkheart, The Harry Potter series, The Tale of Despereaux, and The Diary of Anne Frank. Some of my favorite YA novels are: The Twilight series (sorry, I can't help it), Thirteen Reasons Why, Speak, and Dairy Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go on and on, but for brevity: I love the Fudge Books by Judy Blume, the Twighlight Saga, Anne of Green Gables, Harry Potter and Dragon Rider.

    ReplyDelete