An online critique group for the future J.K. Rowling's of the literary universe
Thursday, January 15, 2009
BY THE WAY...
I am working on the critique. Are we going to go truly in-depth with many comments per page/paragraph/etc.? Or are we going to do an overall critique on the plot/characters/setting?
I think this is up to you. As long as we as critiquers address the questions the writer poses to us, then the rest is just a bonus.
For me, I really love editing (I know, weird) and so I include comments per page and some suggestions at the end of each chapter. But I know other people edit differently than I do.
So far, both of my critiques have been very different. From my standpoint, now that I have two to look at, here is my take. If you are wanting something else, by all means jump in. Everyone's writing style is unique and that style may vary from novel to novel depending on the story. I think there needs to be a differentiation between critiquing the style and the content. I think it is most helpful, at my stage anyway, to have input on the plot/characters/setting. I was also extremely grateful for folks to point out grammatical and spelling mistakes that I had missed despite having gone through the MS a zillion times on my own (ok, maybe not a zillion...just seemed like it). I do, however, think that a word for word edit is a different kind of critique. This again, goes back to the style of writing. I look at it as "there's more than one way to skin a cat..." Just because I may phrase something one way and someone else prefers to say it another way doesn't mean that it's wrong to begin with. Does that make sense? Anyway, that is what I have learned from this first critique (so far). I am looking more for plot/characterization comments. Do things make sense? Are the characters believable? Did I screw up and say that the protagonist was 15 on page 1 and then 16 on page 6? that kind of stuff.
I think whatever people notice is what they will say in the critique. Possibly people notice what they need to improve themselves or some rule they just read in a writing book. I suggest each person say what they are looking for at the beginning. That's why I made the cover sheet to help us verbalize our thoughts. But sometimes, we may think we are only interested in plot development but if someone notices there are too many "ly" words, then I wonder if it's misleading to not mention it. Kind of like telling your girlfriend she looks good in orange lipstick because it's her favorite even though everyone in town makes fun of her orange lipstick. (Jerry Hall) But again, that's a personal issue. Some people don't want to hear everything and feel the reader didn't understand. which goes back to, each person should state limitations if they have limitations.
I think this is up to you. As long as we as critiquers address the questions the writer poses to us, then the rest is just a bonus.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I really love editing (I know, weird) and so I include comments per page and some suggestions at the end of each chapter. But I know other people edit differently than I do.
So far, both of my critiques have been very different. From my standpoint, now that I have two to look at, here is my take. If you are wanting something else, by all means jump in.
ReplyDeleteEveryone's writing style is unique and that style may vary from novel to novel depending on the story. I think there needs to be a differentiation between critiquing the style and the content. I think it is most helpful, at my stage anyway, to have input on the plot/characters/setting. I was also extremely grateful for folks to point out grammatical and spelling mistakes that I had missed despite having gone through the MS a zillion times on my own (ok, maybe not a zillion...just seemed like it).
I do, however, think that a word for word edit is a different kind of critique. This again, goes back to the style of writing. I look at it as "there's more than one way to skin a cat..." Just because I may phrase something one way and someone else prefers to say it another way doesn't mean that it's wrong to begin with. Does that make sense?
Anyway, that is what I have learned from this first critique (so far). I am looking more for plot/characterization comments. Do things make sense? Are the characters believable? Did I screw up and say that the protagonist was 15 on page 1 and then 16 on page 6? that kind of stuff.
I think whatever people notice is what they will say in the critique. Possibly people notice what they need to improve themselves or some rule they just read in a writing book. I suggest each person say what they are looking for at the beginning. That's why I made the cover sheet to help us verbalize our thoughts. But sometimes, we may think we are only interested in plot development but if someone notices there are too many "ly" words, then I wonder if it's misleading to not mention it. Kind of like telling your girlfriend she looks good in orange lipstick because it's her favorite even though everyone in town makes fun of her orange lipstick. (Jerry Hall) But again, that's a personal issue. Some people don't want to hear everything and feel the reader didn't understand. which goes back to, each person should state limitations if they have limitations.
ReplyDelete