Friday, January 23, 2009

Have you heard of Authonomy?


I was perusing the blog Galley Cat last night, when I happened across a post on HarperCollins' new experiment in writing and publishing, Authonomy. Have you guys heard about this?

Basically, Authonomy is a UK-based site where writers can post their unpublished manuscripts (at least 10,000 words must be posted). Readers of Authonomy pick and choose which manuscripts they like the most---and the five most popular books in a given month are passed along to the editors at HarperCollins to read. Thus far, three lucky writers have been offered contracts with HarperCollins due to their participation with Authonomy.

Authonomy is free (I opened an account yesterday although I haven't posted anything yet) and open to anybody. Although gaining publication is very rare, this site does offer a venue to show your work and to have people offer their comments on your plot and writing. It's kind of like a writer's group in a way.

I think I'll post the first 10,000 words of my novel on Authonomy once I come up with a good synopsis for it. If anything, this site can help me get more feedback on my manuscript.

2 comments:

  1. This seems really interesting. I looked through the site and read some of the discussion board. I might have to post some of my novel on there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool. My only problem is with all of these sites, I spend too much time surfing and not as much time writing ;)

    ReplyDelete