Thursday, January 8, 2009

Scholarships, Contests, and Grants...Oh My!

Here are a few scholarships, contests, and grants you might consider entering. I'm applying for all of them! (Hey, an unpublished writer has to do what she's gotta do, right?)

Scholarship for the Highlights Foundation Writers Workshop
From July 11 - 18, the Highlights Foundation will hold their annual workshop in Chautauqua, New York. The faculty includes editors, agents, and accomplished writers and the curriculum focuses on a variety of ways to strengthen a writer's writing (The Puzzles of Plot, Getting Out of the Slush Pile, etc.). The Highlights Foundation offers a scholarship to writers who wish to attend the---and I just sent in my application today. If you would like a copy of the application, please send me an email and I'll forward it to you.

Work-In-Progress Grant at SCBWI
You guys probably know about this grant, but this is something I plan on applying for too. SCBWI starts accepting application on February 15th!

Maryland Writer's Association Novel Contest
For this contest, writers send in a "query package" for review so the judges can assess the publishing potential of your novel. Writers mail in an excerpt from their novel and a synopsis of the work. There is a YA category as well as a Fantasy/Sci-Fi category too. Submissions cost $38 and you don't have to be a MWA member to enter the contest.

What sort of scholarships, grants, and contests have you entered or plan on entering?

2 comments:

  1. There is an Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (contest) coming up 2-1-09. The info can be found on Create Space or on Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out about these contests, although I'm not ready to apply for any contests. Thanks for the motivation though.

    www.ncwriters.org/programs-and-services/competitions/25-doris-betts-fict\
    ion-prize

    www.eatgoodbread.com/2009.html

    www.quadcityarts.com/BuffaloCarp.asp

    ReplyDelete