I am a media coordinator at a very large elementary school (1000+ students) in a small town outside Raleigh, NC. Prior to my job in the media center, I taught sixth or seventh grade social studies, language arts, and/or science for 12 years in 5 different school systems in NC. I was selected as my county's teacher of the year for my last year in the regular classroom. As a teacher, I coached Science Olympiad teams and the drama club. After all, there's just not enough "drama" in a middle school classroom! (And if you believe that, there's some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell to you!) The drama club performed two plays that I wrote.
I have been writing for many years, although poetry was my genre when I was in elementary and high school. Although I still write poems, I moved into prose 7 years ago. My first novel is an adult suspense novel, The Curse of Josiah's Orchard, and I received some positive feedback from a publisher. However, the changes he suggested were overwhelming at the time so the novel has been pushed towards the bottom of a very long to-do list.
The writing bug had bitten me, however, and a slew of short stories, adult and child-oriented, sprang from my fingertips into my computer. In between raising three children, numerous soccer games and Scout meetings, teaching middle school, and earning my master's degree, I still found time to work on another adult suspense novel. I also entered and won a local writing contest. Then, after a very long day in the library, I found the beginning of a middle grades fantasy novel emerging from a conversation with my assistant. From that conversation, J.T. Middleton and his time-traveling librarian were born! I have completed the first two adventures of this average fourth grader, and I'm a third of the way through his third story.
Over the summer, I realized I really needed to put aside all anxiety and fear to write...the query letter! After unsuccessfully trying to find an agent for a few months, I joined SCBWI and realized that some reputable publishing houses still accept unsolicited manuscripts. I am now in the process of submitting the first adventure to those editors.
I am not looking forward to writing my query letter at all! Not one bit.
ReplyDeleteAre you planning on submitting your manuscript to any small publishers? I've been trying to do some research on these smaller publishing houses...