An online critique group for the future J.K. Rowling's of the literary universe
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Florida Writer's Association
My most recent accomplishment is to be the 2010 Conference Director for the Florida Writer's Association. I hope you can make it down here next October.
With our small accomplishments we will all eventually make it big!
Congratulations! That's a great honor! I only want to know:
What dates in October 2010? What's the fee for attending? I'd love to figure out a way to make it work! (Of course, it also depends on my husband successfully finding a job which is difficult in our area. Our county unemployment is over 20%.)
Yikes! 20% is bad. I don't have the dates yet. It should be third weekend in October.
They will have a $50 workshop on Thursday, and the seminar will officially begin on Friday. You can attend one or all days.
To attend you need to join the FWA which is $45. Then entire conference is $259, but if you attend one day, like I am doing this year, it is much less- $150 for Friday, $190 for Saturday and $50 for Sunday. It includes meals and a networking party.
You can pitch to agents for $40 each and you can get critiques from professors and writers for $25 (or maybe $15, I'm not sure). You can see some of the agents on the FWA website. I can forward an outline of this year's speakers if you like.
Thanks for thinking about it. I will send help vibes to your hubbie. It is a drag looking for work.
I am going to start searching for and saving the pennies in parking lots...they'll become my "conference fund"! Thanks for the positive vibes for Jeff. Hopefully I will be in Florida in a little over a year!
Congratulations! That's a great honor! I only want to know:
ReplyDeleteWhat dates in October 2010? What's the fee for attending? I'd love to figure out a way to make it work! (Of course, it also depends on my husband successfully finding a job which is difficult in our area. Our county unemployment is over 20%.)
Yikes! 20% is bad. I don't have the dates yet. It should be third weekend in October.
ReplyDeleteThey will have a $50 workshop on Thursday, and the seminar will officially begin on Friday. You can attend one or all days.
To attend you need to join the FWA which is $45. Then entire conference is $259, but if you attend one day, like I am doing this year, it is much less- $150 for Friday, $190 for Saturday and $50 for Sunday. It includes meals and a networking party.
You can pitch to agents for $40 each and you can get critiques from professors and writers for $25 (or maybe $15, I'm not sure). You can see some of the agents on the FWA website. I can forward an outline of this year's speakers if you like.
Thanks for thinking about it. I will send help vibes to your hubbie. It is a drag looking for work.
I am going to start searching for and saving the pennies in parking lots...they'll become my "conference fund"! Thanks for the positive vibes for Jeff. Hopefully I will be in Florida in a little over a year!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful news, Janet! Congratulations! I'd love to come to the conference too. I'll start saving up!
ReplyDeleteStephanie, I'll definitely keep you, Jeff, and your kids in my thoughts! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.
Great Caroline. I can't wait to meet Steph and you in person. Lisa too, one day.
ReplyDeleteI need to save too, because it's volunteer work.
Jeff, good luck. You deserve the best!