Hey all, long time no type ;)
Hope you are all doing well. Steph- sorry to hear about your job difficulties. Sending well wishes your way.
Congrats Janet! Don't know if I will be able to make it down next October, but we are planning on being in Florida in the summer (2010). My girls are wanting to go to Sea World summer camp (if they can raise half the tuition). I think we will be in the Naples/Orlando areas at that time.
So, on to my writing comments. Last weekend, I attended the Pacific Coast Children's Writers Workshop. It was 2 1/2 days of intensives with an author (Marion Dane Bauer), an agent from Jennifer DiChiara (sp), and an editor from Alfred Knopf. It was great. Hearing the lectures from Marion made the price of the workshops worth every penny. She is a fabulous source of helpful information and encouragement.
One of the things that we tried at the conference was the creation of an "elevator pitch." You all probably know this, but an elevator pitch is a 2 sentence blurb on your story that you could give to an editor or agent if you only had a few minutes in an elevator with them. One sentence gives a little info about the novel, the other gives the listener a frame of reference for the underlying feel of the story. Steven Frasier recommended that we all develop this to help promote our work at conferences, etc. So, here was my attempt.
Bump is a contemporary novel about the choices a fifteen year old makes when she discovers she is pregnant. It is Footloose meets Judy Blume, with a touch of Secret Life.
Let's hear your elevator pitches!!
BTW- I received a critique from Mr. Frasier. He loved my first 2 chapters and wants to see the full MS. I am very excited, but a little freaked out at the same time. I still feel like there are some kinks that need to be worked out before I send it in to anyone.
Super congrats to you, Lisa. Better than outstanding. I have an agent who made suggestions for my first fifty pages and wants me to resubmit, but it seems bleak all the same.
ReplyDeleteMy pitch is:
A cunning psychic sends Glori Hightower into the enchanted Everglades where she faces ancient mystics, learns to appreciate her heritage, and discovers gifts every man has but few realize. It is a modern Wizard of Oz with a dash of Star Wars.
Okay, I can't really think of any stories off the top of my head that are "point on."
We are getting there girls.
PS, Lisa, I live in Orlando. We have to hook up.
Love the pitches! I still need to come up with mine for a conference coming up in a couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteThat is fabulous that he wants to see more! Congrats.
ReplyDeleteElevator pitch: It's very difficult being in the fourth grade and dealing with bullies, homework, and the adults in your life, but it's even harder if you are responsible for changing history and saving humanity. This is a middle grades novel that's part "Back to the Future" with a little bit of "Time Machine".
Good start everyone! And I agree with Janet. We are getting there!!
ReplyDeleteSorry, I'm so late to the party!
ReplyDeleteWow, congratulations Lisa! That must feel so good.
I'm still working on my own elevator pitch, but I'm so happy to hear about the good news!