Lately, I've heard of aspiring writers attending conferences where they have an opportunity to pitch their book to agents. I am attending the SCBWI Florida Mid-Year Seminar in June where approaching an agent or publisher is prohibited. I've read in numerous articles where authors become published through contacts made at a conference.
Finally, I found the Florida Writer's Association which meets in October. They list the agents, publishers and professors who will also attend. Attendees can choose several to meet with whether to pitch their books or gain information regarding their progress. Each meeting has a $40 fee, in addition to the cost of attending the conference, and joining the association.
We can write off the expenses for promoting our work with an intention to earn money for five years. Hopefully, we will all be published by then.
If traveling to Florida is not convenient, find an organization in your area that offers this outstanding opportunity. I know people who have developed a relationship with agents and eventually become published as a result of pitching at a conference. It's worth the effort.
Good post! I read on agent Kristin Nelson's blog a couple months ago how she found one of her clients via a pitch at a conference.
ReplyDeleteDo you plan on pitching a few agents at your conference in October?
I've wanted to attend a conference, but it hasn't fit in with work/family schedules yet. I really would love to attend an SCBWI conference, but will have to wait on that too. It would be a great place to network.
ReplyDeleteStephanie,
ReplyDeleteDo you think you might head to the SCBWI conference in Durham this fall? I've been thinking about going since I should be back in North Carolina by then. Let me know if you can fit it into your schedule!
By the way, congratulations on your book breaking into the top 200 on Authonomy! I'm rooting for you!
I plan to pitch to agents and am researching which will be best. I am looking them up in Jeff Herman's books, on the agentquery.com site and by searching for their websites. I noticed wylie-merrick doesn't seem as prefessional as others, although he has a nice blog. I emailed one who listed YA and fantasy as her genres and she told me she doesn't read either. Definitely it's worth the effort to narrow down which will be most interested in your work.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. The conference that I am attending has offered an interesting opportunity. Apparently, some of us (and I nervously signed up) will read an excerpt in front of an agent and the rest of the conference attendees (about 25 people, I think). It is meant as an on the spot critique (if I can keep focused on not passing out on the floor, but it is also an opportunity to read your stuff to an agent who would not otherwise have seen it.
ReplyDelete